BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Big Thicket Trip

My friend C and I went on an adventure last weekend! We had a blast. First we stopped by an abandoned hospital in Liberty Texas - Mercy Hospital. I learned about the hospital from a forum posting (read it here).
We didn't go all through the hospital, but we explored the first two floors.

 I have posted pictures to my flickr page.

Then we went through Big Thicket Nature Preserve (why not we were already out there!) We were a bit disappointed that the pitcher plants were dead  - but then again we were looking for ghosts (hehe!)

We ended our trip on Bragg Road (AKA Ghost Road) in Saratoga Texas. We had heard about Ghost Road (also known as the Saratoga Lights) since we were kids, but this was our first time to take the trip to see them ourselves. (Background info on the Ghost Road can be found on TexasEscapes.com). The legend says that there are mysterious lights that fly around the road at night. We drove up and down Bragg Road in the daylight to get the lay of the land. As famous as this road is - we were amused to find that it is just a dirt road surrounded by swamps. At one point C and I both said it felt "heavy" and "oppressive". There was one place along the road where you could see the swamp through the trees where I had a feeling that something was moving, yet I couldn't see any movement. It is really hard to explain. I turned expecting to see something moving but everything was perfectly still. We came back after dark and stopped at that same patch of swamp and C took a picture. When we examined the picture later we saw some strange haze.


Other than those experiences the Ghost Lights did not come out and play.

 Many people have said that the lights are just swamp gas (I am absolutely tickled to find out that some call swamp gas corpse candles! Awesome!!!)

Has anyone ever been down Bragg Road? Did you see the lights?

No comments:

Post a Comment